Where did I eat?
Chau Veggie Express at 5052 Victoria Drive in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Vietnamese food with a healthy vegan twist.
What was the vibe?
Casual, cute, modern.
What did I eat?
- When I think of the word shake I imagine a milkshake consistency, but this version is more liquidy. I actually enjoyed that though because I often find milkshakes to be too thick and filling when you are eating a meal.
- The coconut flavour was prominent, but not too overbearing and it was refreshing and easy to drink.
Non-La Rolls – crispy rice paper spring rolls, with kale, garlic, shallots, mung beans, taro, organic tofu, sesame, vegetable filling served with lemon vegan fish sauce.
- I liked the filling of these spring rolls as there were plenty of different textures going on and it reminded me of a regular spring roll
- The vegan fish sauce was surprisingly good and flavourful
- The outside was crispy and not greasy, which is good if you are trying to eat healthy, but I did miss a bit of that oily flavour.
The Golden Temple Soup – a light turmeric coconut curry soup, with organic tofu, beancurd, mushrooms, seasonal vegetables (kale, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), yam, taro, kale, and herbs. Comes with a choice of noodles, rice or quinoa.
- I chose rice noodles for my bowl and I think it is a good option to soak up all the curry broth flavour
- I enjoyed that there was a variety of things filling the soup. I get bored with eating the same things so I liked that there were a bunch of different veggies to keep the flavours an textures interesting.
- The curry broth was light, creamy, and comforting and not spicy.
Coconut vanilla bean tapioca – with lemongrass ginger sour cherry compote on top, sprinkled with black sesame and pistachios paired with coconut vanilla bean ice cream
- My favourite item of the night was the vegan ice cream because it was so smooth, rich, and creamy you wouldn’t even know its vegan.
- I loved that the texture was on point because a lot of vegan ice cream is too “dry” and almost has a crumbly texture where this had that nice smooth ribbon texture when you take a big scoop.
- I also enjoyed the tapioca dessert because I love cool, light, and refreshing desserts.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
While I am not personally vegan I can appreciate when a restaurant puts effort into making healthy vegan food interesting and unique. I think Chau does a good job at providing healthy options that taste good.