Where did I eat?
Hominy Grill at 207 Rutledge Avenue in Charleston, South Carolina.
What do they specialize in?
Southern comfort food.
What was the vibe?
Country-style, bright, busy.
What did I eat?
Charleston Nasty Biscuit – Fried Chicken Breast, Cheddar Cheese, and Sausage Gravy
- The biscuit was prepared well and was buttery and flakey.
- The fried chicken had a great batter, but because it was a breast and I prefer dark meat so I found it to be a bit dry in thicker parts.
- The sausage gravy was the best part of the meal and better than any other sausage gravy I have had. It was rich and creamy and had a slight kick to it which made it very flavourful.
Shrimp and Grits – Sautéed Shrimp, scallions, mushrooms, and bacon over cheese grits
- I loved the combination of shrimp, bacon and mushrooms. It added contrasting crispy and soft textures and a smokey element to the dish from the bacon.
- The shrimp was fresh tasting, but on the smaller side.
- The grits were smooth and perfect for sopping up all the grease although I wish they were a bit cheesier as the cheese flavour was quite subtle.
Hominy Grill makes a solid Southern style breakfast in Charleston.