Where did I eat?
Estrella’s at 5932 200th Street in Langley.
What do they specialize in?
Montreal smoked meat and deli food.
What was the vibe?
Homey, deli-style, busy.
What did I eat?
- In order to properly judge smoked meat you have to order just a classic sandwich on rye with mustard.
- The smoked meat here is perfectly executed. It is juicy, flavourful, and pulls apart easily.
- I found the medium fattiness level of the meat to be well-balanced and would recommend getting this version if you visit.
- The bread gets soggy quite quickly if you don’t eat it fast so I wouldn’t recommend getting a large amount of meat if you are taking it to go.
- Although I appreciate the simplicity of just the smoked meat sandwich, my favourite way to eat it is in a reuben.
- I love the textural contrast of the tender meat with the crunchy sauerkraut and the bit of tangy fermented flavour that balances out the salty meat taste.
- I also prefer this sandwich because the bread comes toasted and I find that it holds up the meat better and doesn’t get soggy so fast.
- The dark brown gravy was rich and heavy and the poutine was topped with a generous portion of cool cheese curds.
- The fries here were good and crispy, although nothing out of the ordinary.
Smoked Meat Chili
- The chili here is also very good as it is made with the smoked meat instead of regular beef which I found to be more tender and fatty.
- The chili is flavourful without being spicy and is filled with beans, cheese, and vegetables.
The smoked meat at Estrella’s is amazing. It is by far one of the top sandwiches around and definitely worth every minute you spend driving out to Langley to get it.