Where did I eat?
0755 Restaurant and Lounge at 2188 – 3779 Sexsmith Road in Richmond.
What do they specialize in?
Cocktails and Chinese food.
What was the vibe?
The inside is super random and feels like a strange club.
What did I eat?
I was invited to a special tasting for Chopstick Fest.
- This is the first Chinese restaurant I have been to with an extensive line of cocktails and they put a lot of effort into the appearance of the drinks.
- The menus didn’t have a description of what is in the drinks, which made them hard to order. When I inquired about one I found out it had energy drink in it, which I definitely didn’t want at 7pm so make sure you inquire as to what is actually in the drink.
- Aside from the mojito all of the drinks were overly sweet and tasted quite sugary and artificial.
Chongqing Spicy Chicken
- I am not a fan of cold Chinese chicken dishes so although the spicy sauce was good this dish didn’t really do it for me.
- I am also lazy and hate eating chicken on the bone that comes in a sauce because it is so messy.
Stewed Chicken Soup
- I was surprised by how flavourful and good this soup was because I find most soups served at Chinese restaurants to be bland.
- The soup had a rich chicken flavour and was mostly broth with a few vegetables dispersed throughout
Braised Spot Prawns
- Spot prawns are always good and I loved the spicy flavour of these
- They were messy to peal as they were covered in sauce, but worth the effort
Steamed Garlic Luffa
- I thought this was going to be a boring vegetable dish, but I was surprised by how much I loved it.
- It has a prominent garlic flavour, but it wasn’t too strong or pungent
- The luffa has a similar texture to a cucumber, but a more mild taste
Garlic Steamed Scallop
- This was the perfect little bite of deliciousness. The scallop had a tender, meaty texture and was smothered in aromatic garlic
- I also loved the noodles underneath because they soaked up all the garlic flavour.
- The lobster meat was good and plentiful
- The sauce was flavourful, but didn’t overwhelm the lobster flavour
Pepper Steam Mandarin Fish
- At first glance this dish looks like it will be extremely spicy, but the peppers weren’t spicy peppers and had a hint of sweetness to them
- The fish was tender and flakey and soaked up all the delicious sauce
Spicy Sour Beef in Soup
- The beef was surprisingly tender for being cooked in the broth
- The broth had an interesting and unique flavour to it that reminded me of tomatillo but I honestly have no idea what was it in
Sautéed Pea Sprouts in Broth
- I love steamed pea sprouts so I could not stop eating this dish
- I love how much moisture they retain and they completely suck up all the flavours from the sauce.
- This was a good light pairing with all of the heavier meat and carb dishes we had
Roast Duck with Pancakes
- The sauce was good and slightly sweet and savoury, but there was so much it masked the flavour of the duck
- I love making little pancake wraps so I always enjoy these types of dishes.
Stir Fried Rice with Preserved Ham
- I am never satisfied until I eat some rice at a meal
- I love the sticky texture to the rice and the fatty flavour that came from the ham
- This comes out served in a whole coconut with a sparkler on top
- The pudding inside was amazing and the best dessert I have had at a Chinese restaurant
- The pudding had different layers of richness and was the perfect refreshing and light way to end a meal
Ice Cream Toast Box
- By this point in the meal I was so full I couldn’t really eat anything else so I didn’t get to appreciate this dish.
- It does come out beautifully presented and they make their own ice cream in house which is impressive
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
I learned a valuable lesson about not judging a book by its cover at 0755 Lounge because the food was surprisingly all really good. I wouldn’t come back for drinks because they were all pretty gross, but I would definitely eat the food again.