Where did I eat?
Maji Restaurant at 1180 – 8391 Alexandra Road in Richmond.
What do they specialize in?
Taiwanese beer and small sharing plates.
What was the vibe?
Dark, lively, crowded.
What did I eat?
I was invited to a special tasting for Chopstick Fest.
Lychee Taiwan Beer
- Taiwanese beer is super light at 3.5% ABV and honestly doesn’t even taste like beer.
- The lychee flavour was sweet, fruity, and very juicy.
Spicy Deep Fried Chicken
- The chicken was very tender and juicy, but the skin was soggy and I wish it would have been more crisp.
- The sauce didn’t taste very spicy to me and was more like a sweet Thai chili sauce
Deep Fried Shrimp with Pineapple
- I liked the crispy shrimp and mayo sauce that covered them.
- The pineapple wasn’t overly ripe, so it didn’t have much of a sweet flavour to it and the whole dish was quite mild.
Crispy Chicken Skin
- This was my favourite dish of the night and it’s the perfect drinking snack.
- The chicken skin is deep fried and super crispy. Just like a chicken potato chip.
- I loved the spicy salty topping which made it addictive to eat.
- The clams were good and flavourful and tossed in a sauce with basil
Sesame Oil Pork Fried Rice
- This was a simple, but well executed fried rice that was perfect to go along with all of the other dishes.
- The portion is pretty small so if you are sharing with several people you may want more than one.
Marinated Pork Belly
- The pork belly was super fatty and disintegrated like butter on your tongue.
- The dark sauce was sticky and slightly sweet.
Pan-Fried Egg Tofu with Soybean Paste
- I am a big fan of egg tofu and I loved how this was coated in a thin crispy batter and was silky smooth on the inside.
- The sauce it was in had a mild soy flavour and I liked the vegetables it was served with.
- I also love how it came out in an adorable little skillet.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
I enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Maji. It is something different from most of the Taiwanese restaurants in Metro Vancouver as they offer smaller sharing plates and I liked their large selection of Taiwanese beer.