Where did I eat?
To Hot Pot at 130 – 8171 Ackroyd Road in Richmond.
What do they specialize in?
Hotpot with a special ordering system where you get a RFID card and then go order at kiosks and pick up your ingredients using the card to keep track of what you order.
What was the vibe?
Modern, spacious, high-tech.
What did I eat?
I was invited to a special tasting for Chopstick Fest.
- I really liked the pork rib broth because it had a nice flavour to it and everything cooked in that broth tasted good.
- I really like spicy food and can handle quite a bit of heat, however, the chong qing style broth was so spicy it numbed your mouth so you couldn’t really taste anything. I would not get this broth again.
- The quality of meat here is good and everything is presented nicely
- The portions aren’t huge and since it isn’t all you can eat things could get very expensive pretty quickly
- One of my favourite things to get at hotpot are meatballs and I enjoyed them here
- I also thought the presentation was very cute
Tofu, vegetables, and seafood
- I liked how they have little stands available to hold the extra dishes you order so your table doesn’t get too cluttered
- They have a lot of different options available when it comes to veggies, noodles, seafood, and tofu
- I loved how they had such an extensive sauce bar with a wide variety of ingredients
- Unfortunately nothing was labelled in English so I had to find out what was what through trial and error
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
The quality of food here is good and the environment is modern and cool, however, if I was paying with my own money I don’t think it is good value as the dishes are expensive and there are plenty of good all you can eat options in Metro Vancouver. I also found the RFID card ordering system overly complicated and too much of a novelty for me to want to return.