Where did I eat?
Christine’s on top of Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler.
What do they specialize in?
West Coast food with local ingredients.
What was the vibe?
Elegant, bright, scenic.
What did I order
Elderflower Mimosa – Prosecco, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, fresh squeezed orange juice
- This mimosa had a good amount of sweetness to it and tasted fresh and citrusy
- This is a good drink if you want something refreshing that doesn’t have a strong boozy flavour
Gin Royal Caesar – Tanqueray Gin, Motts Clamato, horseradish, spicy bean, olives, pickled pepper, and gin beef stick
- The caesar was a bit spicy, which I really enjoyed. The pickled pepper especially packed a punch.
- There was a good amount of toppings on the drink and I thought the bacon salt rim was really good.
BBQ Duck Salad – green papaya, black pepper, hoisin, sesame, citrus, crispy taro
- I love duck and enjoyed the tender meaty flavour it added to the dish.
- The sweet and sticky hoisin sauce paired well with the contrasting crisp fresh veggies.
Crispy Chickpea Falafel – spiced yogurt, raw milk feta, dill, cucumber, nigella seed
- This was the only appetizer I didn’t care for as I found the dish to be a little bland and lacking something.
- The falafel were nice and crispy on the outside, but I would have preferred for them to have a bit more flavour. I like falafel that are packed with fresh herbs and these were quite plain.
Burrata – heirloom tomato, white balsamic, summer herbs, prosciutto, grilled flatbread
- Anytime I see burrata on a menu I get very excited and have to order it.
- This is a classic good dish. You can’t go wrong with creamy rich burrata cheese paired with ripe juicy tomatoes.
Scallop Ceviche – lime, watermelon, sunflower, avocado, puffed rice, pickled onion
- The ceviche was a nicely balanced plate and presented very beautifully.
- Everything had a fresh clean flavour.
Charred 48 Hour Shortrib – maple bbq, jalapeno cornbread, marinated kale, bread and butter pickle
- The shortrib had a smokey meaty flavour and pulled apart easily. The bbq sauce was sweet with a prominent flavour of maple.
- The jalapeño cornbread was also very tasty and was crunchy on the outside and buttery and crumbly on the inside.
Seared Albacore – asparagus, soft cooked egg, lemon ranch, buttermilk fried scallion
- The tuna had a great sear to the outside and the thick slab were rare through the middle
- I loved all of the things on this plate and couldn’t get enough of the soft indulgent eggs and crispy scallions.
- Normally I don’t like cooked salmon dishes because most places over cook it to the point of becoming dry, however, I was impressed with how excellent the salmon was and how much moisture it still had.
- This dish is served cool and was light and refreshing
- I loved how the burger patty is made with pork instead of beef and is served medium. It was super juicy and flavourful from the fattier meat.
- The slaw served inside the burger contrasted the fatty meat and added a great crunchy texture to the burger.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
After tasting nearly the whole menu I was impressed with the food at Christine’s. Normally when you think of ski lodge dining you expect low quality food, however both the ambiance and the food here are really nice.