Where did I eat?
17°C Dessert Café at 2229 Kingsway in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Icy desserts and drinks.
What was the vibe?
Tiny, new, modern.
What did I order?
Watermelon and Cantaloupe Icy
- These desserts were made with a hollowed out fruit shell and filled with shaved ice, ice cream, and melon balls and served with a little container of condensed milk on the side to pour over everything.
- I don’t care for cantaloupe so I passed on that one, but I thought the watermelon one was the perfect balance of sweet and refreshing.
- This was a sponsored event and I didn’t pay, but I was surprised to see that these cost $15 each. I enjoyed this but would honestly never pay that much for a dessert made of watermelon and ice. At that price point I would much rather go to Doolami.
- The lightbulb shaped containers were filled with kiwi, lemon, and red pomegranate soda juice.
- I really didn’t like these drinks because they all tasted very artificial and overly sweet.
- I found the lightbulb containers to be overly gimmicky and not something I would ever order.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
I thought the watermelon icy tasted very good and is a great dessert for Summer. However, the prices here are too high and the concepts are too gimmicky and lacking in substance for me to want to return on my own.