Where did I eat?
Golden Eats at 2141 Kingsway in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
What was the vibe?
I was invited here for dinner by Chinese Bites to sample the restaurant’s signature dishes.
What did I order?
- The peking duck was satisfying as it always is and served on a bed of house made shrimp chips, which were crunch and addictive.
- The skin was very crispy and served with small pieces of duck meat.
Duck Lettuce Wrap
- Duck lettuce wraps always taste better than the regular chicken or beef versions because the meat is more tender and fatty.
Pan Fried Black Cod with Soy Sauce
- Black cod never disappoints so I was excited when this dish came to the table.
- The cod was buttery and rich and went well with the soy sauce
Oxtail in Red Wine
- The oxtail was unfortunately under cooked and not fall off the bone tender like it should be.
- The vegetables were cut into awkwardly large chunks so they were still quite hard.
Dark Vinegar Spare Ribs
- The spare ribs were really good and were coated in a tangy, sweet, and sticky sauce.
XO Salted Egg Yolk Crab
- The crab here was fresh and was enjoyable and the salted egg yolk batter was crisp and indulgent.
Lobster with Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaf
- The lobster here was simple and good. I have a preference for sauce with more flavour and spice so I would have liked it if the sauce was more exciting.
House Special Spicy Clams
- This was my first time having clams at a Chinese restaurant and I enjoyed them.
- The clams were meaty and fresh tasting and tossed with garlic and chilis which gave them a great flavour.
- I would highly recommend trying these for something different from your average squid or prawn offerings that most restaurants have.
- This is one of Golden Eat’s special dishes and has to be ordered in advance.
- The chicken skin was golden and crispy and the meat was tender on the inside. It was served on top of a flavourful sticky rice, which made the dish filling and satisfying.
- I loved this dish because it reminded me of chicken nuggets stuffed with rice.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the food at Golden Eats was. It is one of the better Chinese restaurants I have visited recently and they have a lot of cool dishes that you can’t find anywhere else. They are also open late until 2:00am so it would be a great option for late night eats.