Where did I eat?
Qoo Cafe at 7994 Granville Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Hong Kong style cafe with Western style meat dishes, Chinese dishes, bubble tea etc.
What did I order?
I was invited here by Chinese Bites to sample a selection of Qoo Cafe’s menu.
Mango Green Tea with Pearls
- This was a good standard bubble tea. Nothing exceptional, but done right and it had a good level for sweetness.
- I was happy I had something sweet and refreshing to drink to balance out all the meat to come.
Toast with black truffle and goose liver
- Upon first glace this toast didn’t look impressive, but it was surprisingly very tasty
- The bread was buttery and lightly toasted
- Both the liver and black truffle toasts were rich and flavourful
Fried Lobster and Rice Cakes
- You don’t normally think of ordering lobster when you are at a Hong Kong style cafe, but this was a surprising treat.
- The lobster tasted good and was covered in green onions, garlic, and chilis.
- I really liked the rice cakes mixed in with the lobster.
Garlic Lemon Mussels
- The one mussel I had was kind of stuck to the bottom of the shell, which turned me off and made me not enjoy this dish. I wouldn’t get it again.
- The mix and match special plates normally come with your choice of meat, but Qoo gave us a sampling of all the meat to try.
- On the whole all of the meat was well executed and cooked perfectly. The quality is definitely better than your average Hong Kong style cafe.
- My favourites included the rack of lamb, the honey garlic short ribs, and the pan fried pork chop.
- I think the chicken may have been undercooked, which freaked me out so I didn’t try that one.
Pork Katsu and Fried Fish
- Both of these items were perfectly fried. They were crispy, had a good amount of batter, but not overly greasy.
- The tartare sauce for the fish was good. The katsu would be better if it came with a sauce, but we had several sauces at the table that we just used.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal
Qoo Cafe offers more upscale items than your average Hong Kong style cafe and has good meat and lobster dishes, but at a higher price.