What did I drink?
I was invited to a Chinese New Year dinner at Kirin hosted by Macallan Scotch Whisky.
What do they specialize in?
Macallan makes single malt scotch whisky in the Speyside region of Scotland.
What did I try?
We sampled four whiskies from the 1824 series
The Macallan Gold
- This was the lightest and sweetest of the four we sampled.
- It had fruity and citrus tasting notes.
- This would be an ideal scotch for a beginner. It is smooth, easy to drink, and inoffensive
The Macallan Amber
- I noticed a lot of fruit and spice notes in this scotch
- This one was definitely darker and more flavourful than the Gold, but still on the lighter side
- The Amber tasted quite similar to the Sienna, but tasted slightly sweeter
The Macallan Sienna
- The Sienna tasted like how I expect a scotch to taste.
- It was smooth, warming, with subtle fruity notes
- Personally I was just as happy drinking the Sienna as the Rare Cask one and I think this one has good value for the price. It is still special and luxurious, but not quite as expensive
The Macallan Rare Cask
- The best was saved for last and after trying it I can see why it goes for a few hundred dollars a bottle. I am almost sad that I was able to try this because now I want more.
- The flavour was deep and rich and lingered on your tongue for a long time after sipping
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal
This was my first time sampling Macallan scotch and it set the bar high for me. It was a nice treat to be able to sample all of these and I would purchase them on a regular basis if it was within my budget.