Where did I eat?
Dunn’s Famous at 927 Seymour Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Smoked meat and Montreal deli food.
What was the vibe?
A modern casual trendy deli.
What did I order?
Smoked Meat Poutine
- This portion of poutine is massive and could easily feed multiple people
- The fries were done right and were hot, crispy, but still soft and potatoey on the inside
- The smoked meat added extra substance and flavour to the dish and made it super hearty
- The potato latkes had a good flavour that tasted like crispy mashed potatoes although I wish they had been a bit crispier
- The sour cream on top made them extra good
Smoked Meat Sandwich
- We ordered an XXL size (they don’t even have it on the menu) for impact and it definitely didn’t disappoint
- The fatty meat is in another league from the lean or medium and I would highly recommend getting it. The flavour is amazing and its super tender
- If I came back I would get this sandwich again
Deep Fried Pickles
- This was the only dish that really disappointed me.
- I don’t like thick batter and this didn’t do it for me. It wasn’t crispy enough and was just way too thick and doughy
Matzah Ball Soup
- The matzah ball soup was more plain than expected and just consisted of chicken broth with two matzah balls in it
Smoked Meat Grilled Cheese
- This sandwich is good if you are craving a gooey warm classic grilled cheese, however, I found the smoked meat flavour and texture to get lost amongst the melted cheese
- My other favourite of the night was the reuben sandwich. If you want a sandwich with something more than just meat then I would recommend this one
- The sauerkraut gave the sandwich a bit of crunchy texture and tang to cut through the rich flavour of the meat
- As much as I love desserts I find most cheesecake to be a bit boring, however, the cheesecake here is different from your average New York style cheesecake
- The cake itself is quite dry and crumby and had a unique texture that I enjoyed.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal
Dunn’s Famous really excels at smoked meat and I would highly recommend trying any sandwich with the fatty meat.