Where did I eat?
Icy Bar at 3618 Kingsway in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Shaved ice and Taiwanese style desserts.
What was the vibe?
I was invited here for a ChineseBites media tasting of several desserts.
What did I order?
Mango Ice Cream Mochi Icy
- This was my favourite dessert of the night because of the combination of ingredients
- The mango tasted fresh, ripe, and sweet and the mango sauce added an extra level of fruity flavour
- The mochi are made fresh daily and had a nice chewy texture
- The shaved ice was light and fluffy
- This slush was a bit too thick and hard to drink from the straw
- Compared to the other desserts, the bubble tea drinks were not as impressive
Chocolate Honey Toast
- This was my other favourite dish of the night
- All of the rich chocolate and vanilla sauce and ice cream got soaked up by the crunchy toast and tasted great
- The pancakes come in strawberry, durian, mango, and taro flavours.
- The pancakes have a crepe like texture and were filled with pieces of fruit and whipped cream.
- I sampled the strawberry and mango ones and enjoyed both of them.
- I don’t know why these were called plant puddings, but they were essentially little individual sized trifles
- I tried both the Oreo and the tiramisu flavours and really liked both of them
- They were rich and sweet, but didn’t feel too heavy because of all the whipped cream and layers
- The tofu pudding comes plain and can be customized with several different toppings
- I liked this dessert because it was fun to be able to build your own creation and I liked all the fruit, mochi, and jellies that were available
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
Icy Bar is a great place for shaved ice and other cold desserts.