Where did I eat?
Zeitoon Restaurant and Grill House 1795 Pendrell Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
What was the vibe?
Busy, welcoming, bright.
What did I order?
Kashk Bademjan – Deep fried mashed eggplant, sauteed onions, garlic, fresh mint
- This dish had a slightly smokey flavour to it and hints of sweetness from the onion
- The mashed eggplant had a similar texture to baba ghanoush, but was served warm
Shirazi Salad – diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, fresh parsley, and lemon dressing
- This salad was light, flavourful and refreshing
- The parsley was the dominant flavour of the dish
- It was a nice contrast with all of the other heavy dishes of the night
Zeitoon Parvardeh – marinated olives, walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and herbs
- This was the best olive dish I have ever had and a must order appetizer
- The combination of the salty olives with the sweet pomegranates was delicious
- I really liked the Persian style bread and I thought it went perfectly with the eggplant dish
- It is like a cross between naan and a flatbread and was quite chewy
- I was pleasantly surprised by how tender the beef skewer was. It was juicy, flavourful, and had a nice smokey flavour.
- The lamb was also incredibly tender and was very flavourful from the fat.
- I liked the saffron rice better than regular basmati rice and the portion was massive
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
All of the food at Zeitoon was flavourful and tasty and I was happy I got to experience a bunch of new dishes that I have never tried before.