Where did I eat?
Fraser Court Seafood Restaurant at 3489 Fraser Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
What was the vibe?
Formal, banquet-style decor.
What did I order?
I was invited here for a ChineseBites signature dishes media dinner.
Deluxe Appetizer Platter
- The appetizer platter came with jellyfish, some cold sliced meat, and honey garlic spare ribs
- I only sampled the spare ribs, which were tasty because I wanted to save room for the main courses
Whole Winter Melon Soup with Seafood
- I didn’t really care for this soup because it tasted a bit bland to me and the meat in it was a bit tough.
Chef’s Secret Recipe Jumbo Crab
- I really enjoyed the secret sauce used for the crab which had hints of garlic, chili, green onions
- The crab was messy to eat, but tasted fresh and good
Lobster in Supreme Soy Sauce
- The sauce on the lobster was similar, but a little more simple tasting
- The lobster was also good, however, I think I preferred the taste of the crab a bit more
Sautéed Seafood with Black Fungus and Greens
- The seafood included shrimp, squid, and scallops, which all tasted fresh and good
Roasted House Specialty Chicken
- The skin on the chicken was perfectly crisp and delicious
- The meat was tender and juicy and surprisingly flavourful for a simple chicken dish.
- I would have preferred to not have to look at the chicken head on the plate while I eat, but I understand that is the traditional way to serve it. I’m just a sensitive white person.
Scallops, Egg Tofu, with Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Hot Pot
- This was my favourite dish of the night.
- The scallops were tender and cooked nicely
- I loved the combination of the soft eggplant and the crispy tofu
- The sauce was also really good and bit sweet
Sliced Beef with Mushrooms
- The beef was quite tender and had a nice smokey flavour to it
- The whole dish was covered in a light peppery sauce that was quite flavourful
- All the vegetables were cooked nicely and maintained a good texture
Halibut Belly with Shallots and Green Onions
- The halibut had a nice crispy coating on the outside and the sauce was good
- I am not the biggest fan of cooked fish anymore and I found it a little dry
Baked Tapioca Pudding
- This is the only Chinese dessert that I get really excited about eating.
- The crust was flakey and crispy and the tapioca custard inside was warm and delicious
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal
Fraser Court makes some great Chinese style seafood dishes and I especially enjoyed the crab and scallop dishes.