Where did I eat?
Hakkasan Bistro at 110 – 2188 No. 5 Road in Richmond.
What do they specialize in?
A more Modern take on Chinese cuisine.
What was the vibe?
I came here for a ChineseBites media dinner where a group of us was able to sample their signature dishes.
What did I order?
Chef’s Signature Pork & Snow Fungus Soup in Young Coconut
- The soup is served inside of a coconut, which made the broth taste amazing because of the mild coconut flavour.
- While it was a little difficult to eat, you could scoop the coconut meat out with a spoon and it was very flavourful from soaking up all the broth.
- This isn’t your typical soup served at a Chinese restaurant and is definitely worth trying.
Ancient Style Salt Baked Chicken
- The chicken was presented in the salt brine and then cut up into pieces for us to eat.
- The chicken was plain and I probably would have preferred some sort of sauce with it, but the meat was tender.
Braised Pork Hock
- Pork hocks are always delicious because of how fatty and tender the meat is, so I was excited when this dish came out.
- The sauce was sweet and tangy and went well with the rich, fatty pork.
Honey Roasted Pork Cheeks
- This was like a more upscale version of bbq style pork.
- The pork had a sweet and sticky flavour to it from the honey.
- The meat itself was tender and juicy.
Steamed Specialty Odorless Garlic Lobster on Jasmine Rice
- I have never had “odorless” garlic before, but I am slightly skeptical about it since I love the aroma of garlic
- The lobster was tasty and there was plenty of garlic and green onion topping to make it flavourful.
Stirfry Fish with Pickled Cabbage
- I was pleasantly surprised by how tender and flakey the fish was even though it was deep fried. The fish also had a nice crispy coating.
Hakka Homestyle Steamed Egg, Pork with Duck Yolk
- I have never had a dish like this before and it was like eating a savoury custard.
- It was very rich, heavy, and indulgent.
Mui Choy Stirfry Seasonal Greens
- Chinese style greens are always one of my favourite dishes and I look forward to them after all the heavy meat dishes.
- These were cooked well so they had a bit of bite to them and were topped with a savoury sauce that had a salty flavour to it.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
Hakkasan Bistro has a lot of interesting and creative Chinese dishes that can’t be found elsewhere.