Where did I eat?
Monkeypod Kitchen at 92-1048 Olani Street in Kapolei, Hawaii.
What do they specialize in?
Flatbreads, happy hour, and dishes using local ingredients.
What was the vibe?
Modern, bright, loud.
What did I order?
Monkeypod Mai Tai – old lahaina light rum and dark rums, lime, house-made macadamia nut orgeat, orange curacao, honey-lilikoi foam
- This was definitely the best Mai Tai that I have had.
- The sweet foam on top added an interesting texture to the drink that isn’t present with regular Mai Tais.
- The drink was pretty strong and while I wouldn’t want to pay regular price for it, if you go during happy hour where all cocktails are $8 it is worth ordering.
Ma’o Organic Kale – maui onions, golden raisins, mandarin oranges, organic big island macadamia nuts, miso sesame vinaigrette
- The flavours in this salad were well-balanced. It had both a bright citrus taste and a more earthy element from the miso sesame dressing.
- I liked how there were lots of different textures going on in the salad. The nuts added some crunch and the oranges something juicy.
Wood-Roasted Free Range Chicken Wings – kiawe-roasted free range chicken, garlic, kula farm rosemary, tzatziki sauce
- The chicken wings were moist and had a nice smokey flavour to them.
- These were good, however, my favourite type of chicken wings will always be the deep-fried version.
Pumpkin Patch Ravioli – kiawe-roasted squash, chevre, organic spinach, toasted walnut sage pesto
- This was one of the best dishes of the night and definitely a must order
- The ravioli filling was creamy, rich, and slightly sweet
Garlic Truffle Oil Fries – parmesan cheese, whole grain mustard aioli, house-made ketchup
- Anything deep fried and covered in garlic, truffle oil, and cheese is going to taste good.
- The fries were crispy, but became soggy if you didn’t eat them fast from all the toppings.
Watermelon Flatbread – watermelon, arugula, goat cheese, and balsamic drizzle
- This pizza was their special of the night and was surprisingly tasty given the unusual ingredients.
- The watermelon added a bit of sweetness, but the richness of the goat cheese and bitterness of the arugula helped balance it out.
Roasted Butternut Squash – caramelized onions, kula country farm rosemary, pine nuts, garlic white sauce
- This flatbread had a slightly sweet taste from the onions and squash.
- I really liked the thin, crispy, and slightly chewy texture of the bread.
- This dish was good at first, however, I found the flavours to be a bit one-dimensional and I got bored with the taste after eating half of it.
- This pie had a strong coconut taste, which I loved because I like any coconut dessert.
- I also am a sucker for cream pies, so I liked the rich, thick texture and all the whipped cream.
- The pie crust was just okay. It could have been more flakey and crisp and I found it to be too soft.
- The strawberry cream had a stronger flavour than I was expected, except it sort of reminded me of strawberry candy and tasted a bit too artificial for my preferences.
Monkeypod Kitchen is worth checking out during happy hour when they have discounted drinks, flatbreads, and appies, however, I don’t think the value is there at regular price.