Where did I eat?
Pearl Castle 1128-3779 Sexsmith Road in Richmond for a Chinesebites event.
What do they specialize in?
Taiwanese food and bubble tea.
What was the vibe?
Modern, bright, busy.
What did I order?
Young Girl’s Dream – grenedine, calpis, and pop topped with cotton candy
- Pearl Castle just introduced a line of bubble tea drinks that are topped with cotton candy
- The presentation of this drink is beautiful. The cotton candy was large and fluffy and made for a great Instagram photo.
- The drink is quite sweet and syrupy. The first few sips were good, but I got sick of the taste before the end.
Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
- This rice was filled with shrimp, big chunks of pineapple, egg, and carrots
- The rice wasn’t too heavy or greasy and had a slightly sweet taste to it
Deep Fried Mushroom
- I liked that this dish was something different from the normal deep fried tofu or chicken that you see at Taiwanese restaurants.
- The mushrooms were really good and cut into nice bite sized pieces
- The breading was light and crispy and had similar spices that you would find in Taiwanese chicken nuggets.
- The sausage was good and it was the perfect appetizer or snack.
- It had a slightly sweet flavour to it that was magnified by the dipping sauce.
- The inside of the sausage was quite fatty and it had a crispy thin skin on the outside.
Deep Fried Tofu
- The batter on the tofu was the same as the above mushrooms
- The tofu was good, but nothing too special, so if you wanted something deep fried I would try the mushrooms for something different from most places.
Wonton with Chili Sauce
- I wasn’t crazy about these wontons.
- I found the wrapper to be too thick and there was too much of it in proportion to the filling.
Marinated Chicken with Rice
- The chicken was very juicy and tender and the portion of it was large.
- The sauce had a slighty sweet taste and reminded me of a chili sauce.
- This would be a good filling meal.
- I also had another variation of this dish with a pork chop instead of chicken. It was also good and had the same sauce.
- I didn’t know what to expect from the milk hot pot, but I was surprised and impressed with how good the broth was. It was creamy, but not too overwhelming or heavy.
- I mostly just sampled the broth, but it was also filled with shrimp, pork, and a bunch of vegetables.
- The curry coconut hot pot was also as delicious as the milk one. This broth was rich, aromatic, and had a hint of coconut flavour.
Kimchi Seafood Fried Udon
- I always love udon noodles, so I enjoyed having some noodles.
- It was filled with big chunks of kimchi and prawns and was slightly spicy.
Original Taiwanese Beef Noodle
- I liked the beef noodles here because of the delicious broth and thick, chewy, noodles.
Three Cup Chicken
- The three cup chicken had a tangy soy flavour and punches of flavour from the thai basil.
- The pieces of chicken thighs were juicy and the portion was large.
- The garlic chicken was quite similar to the three cup chicken except it had a stronger garlic flavour and some sweetness to it from honey
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
Pearl Castle has some fun bubble tea drinks and an expansive menu with a lot of good options on it.