Where did I eat?
Renfrew Cafe at 826 Renfrew Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Coffee and home-made pies.
What was the vibe?
Bright, cute, and tiny.
What did I order?
- The design on top of the drink was impressive and well done
- The cappuccino was perfect and had an ideal micro-foam texture
- They currently use Elysian Coffee to make all of their drinks
Beef and Kimchi Pie – beef brisket and locally made kimchi
- This pie was my favourite of the day because of the super tender and flavourful beef inside
- The kimchi added a crunchy texture and a hint of spice and tartness
- The pie crust itself was perfectly light, flakey, and crispy on the outside
Matcha Mochi Anko Pie – filled with home made mochi, red bean paste and topped with matcha powder
- I loved the soft and chewy mochi filling of this pie. It gives the whole pie a warm, gooey, texture
- Even though this is a dessert pie it isn’t overly sweet because of the bitter matcha, so if you don’t like super sweet things this would be a good option
- Once again I found the crust to be light and flakey
- This was a very well executed take on a classic pie
- The filling was sweet and fragrant with warm notes of cinnamon
Renfrew Cafe is an adorable little hidden gem that has great coffee and delicious pies.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.