Where did I eat?
Invitro Food Labs and Eatery on 2211 Manitoba Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Pastas, steak, and appetizers.
What was the vibe?
Cozy, warm, and inviting.
What did I order?
The Roxanne (left)- Gin, elderflower, watermelon juice, simple syrup, lime juice & muddled basil
The Jessica (right) – Malibu, Lemonhart, egg white, lemon juice, simple syrup & pineapple juice
- The cocktails here are all made with fresh pressed juice, so they taste fruity and fresh without having an overly sweet and artificial taste
The Typical Caprese – Buffalo Bocconcini, pesto, smoked prosciutto, oven-dried tomato, balsamic reduction, olive oil and basil
- Despite the name, this tasted so much better than your “typical” caprese.
- I loved the addition of the smoked prosciutto because it gave a salty crunch to the dish.
- The oven dried tomato had a sweeter taste than a fresh tomato.
- The salad was perfectly put together. It looked so pretty and it had a good ratio of cheese to tomato.
The Payoff – Baked Brie with roasted garlic, olive oil, and crostini served with local fruit preserves
- Who doesn’t love baked brie? This is a great appetizer for sharing.
- The roasted garlic and the jam provide a good contrasting sweet and savoury element to the dish.
- There was plenty of baguette to use up all of the brie cheese.
Bolognese – Home-made egg noodles served with veal, sausage, beef, & lardons, garnished with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs
- The noodles here are made fresh to order and they have a delicious thick and chewy texture
- Normally I am not a fan of bolognese sauce because I don’t care for ground beef, but I loved this sauce because of the mix of different meats and the hearty texture of the sauce.
Leeks & Cream – Home-made egg noodles served with cream, parmesan cheese, butter, leeks and white wine
- This pasta was made with the same noodles as the one above, but with a creamy white sauce
- The sauce was rich, but not overwhelmingly so and didn’t feel too heavy.
Steak – Served with butter dill potatoes and a cucumber tomato salad
- I requested the steak to be cooked medium rare and it was absolutely perfect.
- The filet mignon was super tender and there was a nice seared crust on the outside and a coating of herbs.
- Even the mushrooms and salad on the side were incredibly flavourful and delicious.
Pavlova – Meringue with whipped vanilla cream and fresh fruit
- I wasn’t a huge fan of the pavlova because I am not crazy about meringue.
Bacon Bourbon Brownie – Bacon and bourbon brownie with rosemary toffee and bourbon whipped cream
- I wish I wasn’t so full so I could have enjoyed this brownie more
- The brownie was dense, moist, and chewy and rich in chocolate flavour with a slight hint of smokiness from the bacon.
- The rosemary toffee added a unique savoury element to the dish, which I enjoyed
- The bourbon whipped cream added a slightly boozy flavour to the dessert that I think paired well with the chocolate
Invitro is a hidden gem restaurant and this was one of the more special and memorable meals I have had in a long time. The prices are also very reasonable for the quality of ingredients and presentation.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.