Where did I eat?
Screen Door at 2337 East Burnside Street in Portland.
What do they specialize in?
Southern food and chicken and waffles.
What was the vibe?
Rustic, comfortable, busy.
What did I order?
Breakfast Corn Dog – a breakfast sausage deep fried and served with syrup
- Corn dogs are my ultimate weakness, so I loved this dish
- The breakfast sausage was more rich and fatty than your average hot dog and made this more filling and indulgent
- The outside batter was nice and crisp and not soggy
- There was a subtle sweetness to the corn dog from both the corn batter and the sausage, so the syrup worked well as a dip
- This version was smooth and had a rich flavour from the cheddar cheese.
Chicken and Waffles – three buttermilk fried chicken breast on a sweet potato waffle
- This dish is big enough to feed an entire family. Seriously the size of the pieces of chicken were ridiculous.
- The chicken was moist and had a crunchy, thick batter.
- The sweet potato waffle was so good. It was light and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside with a mild hint of spice.
- This dish is definitely a must try.
I can see why people line up for hours to get in here because the brunch is ridiculously good. If you have the time, it is worth coming here when you visit Portland.