Where did I eat?
Stake at the Hard Rock Casino in Coquitlam.
What do they specialize in?
Steak and seafood
What was the vibe?
Upscale, cozy, and dark
What did I order?
Beet Trio – blueberry goat cheese mousse, pea greens, walnut wafer, golden beet dressing
- I liked how three different types of beets were used. Not only did it make the salad look pretty, but they all added their own unique flavour.
- The blueberry goat cheese mousse was delicious and the perfect combination of creamy with a hint of sweetness and tang.
Signature Smoked Crispy Pork Belly – green pea puree, butter braised white asparagus, tomato confit, apple bourbon jus
- The pork belly had a wonderful smoked flavour to it that and it reminded me of a more elegant version of bacon.
- The crispy skin on the outside added a nice crunch to the meat.
- I was excited about the white asparagus because I have never seen a white asparagus before. They were a great accompaniment.
Pacific Halibut – king oyster mushrooms braised in abalone sauce, preserved olive, green beans, eggplant, and wilted pea greens
- I loved the Asian flavours that were used in this dish. The vegetables served under the halibut were some of the best side vegetables I have had.
- The halibut had a nice sear on the outside and was served quite plain, which was okay because the vegetables were very savoury and rich.
Pan-Seared Truffle Polenta – leek fondue, ratatouille, thyme glazed portabella, garlic cream, micro chard
- For a vegetarian option, I was impressed with the creativity of this dish.
- The polenta was delicious. It was soft, rich and cheesy on the inside and it had a crunchy exterior that held it all together.
- Even if you aren’t a vegetarian this dish is worth trying if you want something different.
Seared Beef Tenderloin – Golden Ears emmental fondant potato, glazed beets, crisp leek, truffle foam
- The beef tenderloin was cooked to a perfect medium rare. It was super juicy and tender.
- It was one of the best steaks I have had in a very long time.
- The cheesy potato sides were also very good and a nice change from the standard baked potatoes.
Chocolate Marquise – irish cream anglaise, chocolate pearls, raspberry coulis
- The marquise was very rich and chocolatey. It almost had the texture of a pudding, but it was in cake form.
- I liked the tart contrast of the raspberry coulis on the side and the adorable chocolate pearls.
Stake completely exceeded my expectations for a casino restaurant. The food was all beautifully presented and a lot of thought and care was put into it. The ingredients used were high quality and everything tasted great. The prices are also pretty affordable for the quality of food served.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.