Where did I eat?
Akbar’s Own at 1905 West Broadway in Vancouver
What do they specialize in?
What was the vibe?
Warm and cozy
What did I order?
Vegetable Pakoras – Marinated in a tangy batter with Indian spices and deep fried. Delicately spiced vegetables.
- The little bite size pieces of pakora were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle
- The smaller portion size is good for an appetizer
Chicken Mughlai – Boneless chicken cooked in fresh garlic, ginger and rich cashew nut sauce with fenugreek leaves
- The curry sauce was very delicious. It had a rich and creamy nutty flavour
- I asked for it to be spicy and it actually came out spicy, which made me happy
- The pieces of chicken in the curry were large and juicier than many curries I’ve had
- If you want to break away from boring old butter chicken I would highly suggest trying this dish
- You can’t eat Indian and not get naan
- The naan was light, fluffy, and chewy
Eggplant Bhartha – Whole eggplant roasted in tandoor, cooked with onion, tomatoes, garlic and ginger
- The eggplant is pureed in the sauce, so you don’t get chunks of the vegetable mixed throughout. I loved the thick texture of the curry
- You could pick up hints of eggplant flavour and the curry sauce had a slight hint of sweetness and some spice (I also asked for this one to be spicy)
- This is another unique and delicious dish that I would highly recommend trying
Akbar’s Own makes some delicious, unique, and flavourful curry dishes that are definitely worth checking out.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.