Where did I eat?
Doolin’s Irish Pub at 654 Nelson Street in Vancouver.
What do they specialize in?
Irish style pub food and beer.
What was the vibe?
Cozy and comfortable.
What did I order?
Alexander Keith’s Infusion
- Every day they take Alexander Keith’s beer and infuse it with a different combination of flavours
- This version was infused with strawberry, orange, and fennel
- I loved the fruity flavour that the infusion added to the beer and I thought it made it more interesting to drink
- Comes with your choice of any four beers on tap
- It is a good way to sample a few different types of beer
Duck Bites – chipotle and ginger marinated duck wrapped in bacon and topped with pickled jalapeno and sweet sesame soy glaze
- Even though this dish isn’t Irish at all, it is surprisingly delicious
- The duck meat is super tender and the bacon was perfectly crisp and smokey
- The side salad was also fresh and balanced out the meaty rich duck nicely
Short Rib Flatbread – red wine braised beef short ribs, caramelized onions, roasted cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, tomato sauce, and blue cheese aioli
- The toppings were really good. The beef short rib was flavourful and tender and the blue cheese sauce was creamy and not overly strong
- The crust was much too thick for my liking and I only really like thin crust pizza nowadays
- If you like Pizza Hut crust you would like this pizza
Shepherd’s Pie – ground lamb and vegetables topped with mashed potatoes, cheese, and gravy
- I have only ever had the beef version of shepherd’s pie before and I enjoyed the flavour of the lamb they used much more
- The portion was massive and the gravy was rich and the mashed potatoes were cheesy and delicious
Chicken Pot Pie – chicken, carrots, celery, and peas in a creamy stew topped with golden flakey pastry and served with mashed potatoes and vegetables
- The pastry crust was light, buttery, and perfectly flakey
- The filling inside of the pie was full of nice chunks of chicken and vegetables and the gravy thick and delicious
- The side of vegetables was also surprisingly good and they had a nice char on them and were seasoned well
- It was probably the best chicken pot pie I have had
- The cake itself was creamy and smooth without being too overwhelmingly rich
- The blueberry coulis had a subtle spice flavour to it, but the blueberry flavour wasn’t very prominent and I would have preferred fresh fruit
Doolin’s excels most at their Irish food, so make sure you try their beer and chicken pot pie.
Disclosure: I did not pay for my meal.
Doolin’s has given me a $50 gift card to do a giveaway on my blog. The contest begins Monday August 25th and it will close on Friday August 29th at 11:59pm. To enter the contest leave a comment below stating what you would order at Doolin’s if you won. The winner will be randomly selected and contacted through email. Good luck!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the contest. The winner has been drawn and contacted.