Where did I eat?
Wildebeest in Gastown at 120 W Hastings Street
What do they specialize in?
Meaty and rustic inspired dishes
What was the vibe?
Cool, contemporary, and open
What did I order?
Pork jowl with long pepper oats, bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup and a poached egg
- The pork jowl was fatty, delicious, and tender and a nice change from the typical bacon or sausage
- The oats were smooth and hearty and it was interesting to have them topped with savoury toppings
- The poached egg added a nice “sauce” to the dish once the yolk popped everywhere
Mushroom and goat cheese omelette with thrice cooked potatoes
- The trice cooked potatoes tasted like McDonald’s hash browns (they tasted amazing)
- The omelette was light and fluffy, but sturdy enough to hold up to the fillings
- The mushrooms and goat cheese had a nice earthy flavour
Wildebeest is a cool spot for a creative brunch in Gastown